Monday, May 20, 2013

Job Shadow Blog

For my job shadow I went to Rocky Mountain Sports in Cody and shadowed, the manager, Todd. Todd showed me all around the store and explained to me exactly what he did everyday and also taught me how to take inventory and how to restock shelves. Todd has been working at Rocky Mountain Sports for quite some time now and has a lot of expierience because he worked at a sporting goods store in Montana before that. In order to be the manager you really dont need any schooling at all. Todd said the biggest thing is expierience. Recieveing a degree for management or something to that extent is very useful but not necessary. The job prospects for manager of Rocky Mountain Sports looks very good actually. According to my research the job prospects of a retail store manager is actually expected to increase slightyly over time. The average salary for a retail store manager is $54,000. Many make much less than that but some make more than that as well bringing the average to around $54,000.

During my job shadow I learned that being the manager of a very popular store such as Rocky Mountain Sports actually takes a lot work. You have to take inventory, keep everything stocked up, and continue to please customers. My favorite part of this job shadow was that I am an archery hunter and I was able to relater many things with this guy because he is also an archery hunter. The best part was when he let me shoot one of their super nice cross bows.

Nothing about my job shadow was really all that boring. The worst part though was probably the fact that you were always walking around the store and you got tired very easily. The day was slow because it was a week day and many people were at work so we didnt get a whole lot of customers in the store. Not having many customers made it so we were stocking shelves and keeping inventory a whole lot.

The ten questions I asked Todd were:
1. If you dont mind me asking, what is your yearly salary?
2. How many employies do you have as the manager?
3. What is your average number of customers each day?
4. Are you required to wear certain apparel for this job?
5. What do you do for lunch each day?
6. What is the worst expierience that you have gone through as the manager?
7. What is the best expierience that you have gone throught as the manager?
8. Is being the manager of a very busy store stessfull?
9. What does your life outside this job look like?
10. Are you married and if so do you have any kids? Does this make this job harder to be involved in?

No comments:

Post a Comment